Lawton-Seabrook Cemetery, Edisto Island, SC
The Lawton-Seabrook Cemetery is a walled cemetery containing seven original gravestones for members of the Seabrook and Legaré families of Edisto Island, South Carolina. These markers are attributed to Charleston and Philadelphia carving masters of the late eighteenth and early to mid-nineteenth centuries, with all but one of them connected to famed Charleston stone carver Thomas Walker (1770-1838), his apprentices, and/or their descendants. Several other unmarked graves for the Lawton and Tilly families are believed to be on the site, commemorated by modern (non-contributing) markers. Situated on private land, the cemetery is somewhat rare among Lowcountry family plots, given the survival of its impressive brick perimeter wall and its unusual design, which is also believed to be the work of Thomas Walker, thus illustrating the multifaceted nature of Walker’s workshop as an innovator in both marble funerary art and cemetery architecture and brick masonry.
The Lawton-Seabrook Cemetery was officially listed in the National Register of Historic Places on June 12, 2017.